Wednesday, January 8, 2020

World War 3 - Really?

Photo by Stijn Swinnen on Unsplash

World War 3 began trending this past week on Google. I've seen posts about it throughout my feeds about scared kids and angry people. This comes on the back of what I thought was a pretty peaceful first 20 years of the new century. Yes there are issues and conflicts, but 100 years ago we were emerging from the Great War. A large part of the world had been at war. Hundreds of thousands had been killed. It felt like the war to end all wards. But that century wasn't done and worse wars came. We don't want that in this century.

We seem to be waiting with bated breath for World War 3. But really? Is the world at war? Will the world be at war because of recent events? I don't think so. 

Some countries may be fighting in sporadic conflicts. Some countries may even declare war against each other in coming days. And that would be a travesty. War is not good. It is sometimes necessary, but it isn't good. But is the world really going to be at war? A New York Post op-ed headlined with "Enough with the Ridiculous World War 3 talk". While the op-ed is obviously a specific point of view, and I don't agree with all that is written in it, I tend to agree with the sentiment. Let's stop making the current issues a World War 3 trend.

Let's stop talking about World War 3 with what feels like a wishful tone. I think it dishonors those who lived through the world wars of the past century. They wouldn't want a world war again. I don't want one. I don't want any war. We have much larger issues facing us and wars are a distraction to solving those problems.

There may be wars coming - and we may feel the need to oppose those wars. However, I believe we might want to scale our conversation to be more accurate. It's war - not world war.

No comments:

Post a Comment