Saturday, January 11, 2020

Door's Howl: Theater Review - Framingham High School - Les Miserable

Photo by Dorian Botsis on iPhone

Review

Les Miserable is an iconic book, drama, musical, movie and school play. I have seen multiple versions of it. Redemption, love, justice, war, poverty, greed, and sacrifice fill its plot lines. People who know the show all have their favorite characters. Mine is Fantine. Without fail her story breaks my heart, and I can seldom get through her song "I dreamed a dream" without crying. 

Tonight, I watched Framingham High School's production, and it was simply spectacular. From choreography to voices to orchestra to stage design to interpretation it was astounding and beautiful. The surprise of the night for me was Javert, played by Ethan Kerr. I have never liked Javert as a character and his songs are difficult to sing and always seem to jar with me. Ethan did them better than I have ever heard them and for the first time ever, I enjoyed them. More than enjoyed them, I felt the soul of them. His final song was sung with such passion I could see the confusion and despair Javert must have felt. Well done Ethan! That was amazing.

All that said, it should be no surprise based on my opening paragraph, that Fantine was my favorite. Fantine was played by Hannah Bossange and she captured every ounce of the desperation, pain and longing of this character. Her version of "I Dreamed a Dream" had tears rolling down my eyes. Tears at the pain and hurt and deep, deep longing for hope and love. She sings something we all want. Hannah, you may never read this, but you moved my heart tonight. You sang with depth and wonder. Beautiful! But there was one more surprise, the close of the play when Jean Valjean and Fantine sing together was so powerful. Jan Valjean played by Max Connor was brilliant. His falsetto was magical and offered a divine air to his songs.

Les Miserable is a great school production because it touches on such deep themes. Watching school productions is also so incredible. There is such support from the audience and when each song finishes, the audience erupts with cheers and screams. Tonight, the audience burst with sound after each song and sprang to their feet in a standing ovation.

Well done Framingham High School Drama Company. That was incredible. What a great night out.

I don't know if it recorded and available for sale, but if it is, get a copy.

Score

FHS Drama Company Presents Les Miserable scores a Full Moon.

Scoring System

Wolves are thought to commonly howl at the moon. So, the better the moon, the greater the howl. Description of scoring system below.

Full Moon - best you can get, must watch and must own
New Moon - great movie, worth seeing and buying
Crescent Moon - average to above average, good to watch, but may want to wait for DVD
Sliver Moon - below average, not worth seeing and only get it on DVD when you have nothing better to do, like having a root canal
Moonless Night -not even worth mentioning - avoid at all costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment