Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The Flag: An Invitation to Dream


Photo by Paul Weaver on Unsplash

I am an immigrant.
Born in South Africa.
Living in American.

An American Citizen.

And I believe in the value at the core that is America - freedom.

Each time I hear the national anthem being played, I am struck by the origin of the words, and the rising tempo of the music. It strikes within my heart and reverberates through my soul.

I believe in freedom. 
I believe in each person's right to freedom.
I believe in the duty to fight for freedom.
I believe in the privilege to die for freedom.
And I believe even more passionately that we are called to live for freedom.

These words, penned by Francis Scott Key as he watched the bombing of Fort McHenry in the war of 1812, a war fought over, in part, the restriction of trade and impressment of American sailors; these words capture the essence of our call to freedom:

"Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
For the land of the free, and the home of the brave"

That same value is expressed by my country of birth, South Africa, in their national anthem. A national anthem proudly sung this past weekend as South Africa won the Rugby World Cup, with words ringing as clear in my soul:

"Let us live and strive for freedom,
In South Africa our land"

Yes, 
I am an immigrant.
Born in South Africa.
Living in American.
An American Citizen.
But
I am a person of freedom who wants everyone to be free.

I just wish our political leaders would live for it as highly as they say they value it.

We have a history, in both countries, and around the world, of people who have lived and died for freedom. 

So let's be a land of the free, 
filled with free people 
who live and strive for freedom, 
as we create a world 
where one day, 
every person, 
regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, orientation, age, ability, class, income or status 
will be free.

The Flag and our anthems invite us to dream, and then to work.

Let's get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment