Thursday, November 7, 2019

In Honor of Children Taken Too Soon


Photo by Mat Reding on Unsplash

God, it's happened again, and I must admit, I'm angry.

Yet another family in our church lost a child today. There are too many who have died since I've been here, too, too many. 

One is too many, but it keeps happening. Please stop it Lord.

Little children, older children, dying before their parents. It is a parent's nightmare, to outlive their child. I know you know what it feels like God, but that just makes it even tougher. You know the pain of this, so why would you allow it to happen?

I know about sin, and brokenness, and suffering, and that maybe it was better for them to go than to stay, but that doesn't console. Burying children as a pastor is one of the hardest parts of the job. Living as a parent after the death of a child is harder still. 

My heart breaks for them, my soul throws prayers on their behalf and my spirit is angry, God. Angry that you would allow this to happen. Lord forgive me for my anger, and comfort them in their loss. Honor these parents and love them deeply in their grief.

To all the parents I know who have lost a child: my heart is with you. 

You are courageous beyond measure to endure each day since that heartbreak.
You are inspiring.
You are faithful. 
You are incredible.
You are worthy for you have suffered greatly.

If you know of someone who has lost a child, say a prayer for them tonight, call them and make sure they know they are remembered, if the grief is too new, offer some tangible help. Love them!

If you have children, forget about the rules and the chores, love and hold your children tonight. They grow too quickly, they leave too soon and can be taken too quickly.

I am reminded of Psalm 22, a psalm for those in the midst of grief. A psalm Jesus spoke from the cross. Here are some selected verses that may give voice to the grief you feel.

1 God, my God!
Why would you abandon me now?
2 Why do you remain distant,
refusing to answer my tearful cries in the day
and my desperate cries for your help in the night?
I can’t stop sobbing.
Where are you, my God?
...
11 So don’t leave me now; stay close to me!
For trouble is all around me and there’s no one else to help me.
...
14 Now I’m completely exhausted; I’m spent.
Every joint of my body has been pulled apart.
My courage has vanished and
my inward parts have melted away.
15 I’m so thirsty and parched—dry as a bone.
My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth.
And now you’ve left me in the dust for dead.
...
19 Lord, my God, please don’t stay far away.
For you are my only might and strength.
Won’t you come quickly to my rescue?
20 Give me back my life.
Save me from this violent death.
Save my precious one and only
from the power of these demons!
21 Save me from all the power of the enemy,
from this roaring lion raging against me
and the power of his dark horde.
...
24 For he has not despised my cries of deep despair.
He’s my first responder to my sufferings,
and he didn’t look the other way when I was in pain.
He was there all the time, listening to the song of the afflicted.
...
26 I will invite the poor and broken,
and they will come and eat until satisfied.
Bring Yahweh praise and you will find him.
Your hearts will overflow with life forever!
...
The Passion Translation® Copyright © 2017 by Passion & Fire Ministries, Inc. 
Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Copied from Bible.com

In Honor of Children Taken Too Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment