Monday, November 18, 2019

Telling the Big Man


Photo by Jack Sharp on Unsplash

I was asked by a friend to "tell the big man" they wanted protection.

I promised I would, if they would.

But here's a little secret for you: I don't know how prayer works.

I know what prayer is.
I know God asks us to pray...
...responds to our prayers,
...helps us pray,
...prays for us (still the most amazing thing I have learned about prayer)
...and listens to our prayers.

But how it actually works: that I don't know.

I don't know why it is that miraculous things happen when we pray. I don't know why it is that we seem to find our hearts more settled, our souls more peaceful and our bodies more rested when we pray. I don't know why it happens, or why, more often than not, when we pray, God does amazing things to answer our prayers.

But actually it doesn't matter.

I don't know how my phone works, or how the apps that I use work, but they do.
And like my phone or those apps, they work when I use them.

Prayer works when we do it. We don't need to know how it works, just that it does, and that we can all pray.

So, how might I pray for you?

I will, if you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment