Monday, November 25, 2019

Sneakers, Songs and Souls


Photo by Perry Grone on Unsplash

This past Sunday Faith Community held a combined service of the two campuses. It was a joyful occasion of sneakers, songs and souls. In the midst of the celebration, I was overwhelmed with the generosity and sacrifice of our volunteers.

Volunteers in a church always blow me away. They don't have to be there, they seldom gain anything from the work they do and are often criticized for what they do. Someone always finds a way to complain about something, but forget the complaints. That's not what this post is about today. This post is about the volunteers who gave of themselves, served beyond what was expected, even at their own expense.

I'm amazed at a single dad, with a broken down car, who ubered to the service to fulfill his commitment.
I'm amazed at a woman, with a wedding a few weeks away, who woke up sick, but took some medication and came anyway.
I'm amazed by the single mom who collected sneakers all morning, while other volunteers cared for her kids.
I'm amazed by the dual working couple who served for 7 hours, walked almost 20,000 steps to make the services warm and welcoming.
I'm amazed by the married dad, who worked as a project manager for weeks, and then served all morning, while his incredible wife coordinated children, support and rides.
I'm amazed by musicians, technicians, and light personnel who rehearsed, coordinated, set up, led worship, broke down all with smiles, focus and a desire to honor God.
I'm amazed by a school bus driver, who despite the staggering personal loss of her mom, coordinated food, coffee, drinks, snacks and hospitality for others.
I'm amazed at the dozens of people who got on their hands and knees to get face to face with children, so children would feel loved and cared.
I'm amazed at the group of men and women who braved the rain, early morning set up, break down and rain again to create a space for people to express their faith.
I'm amazed at the leaders who encouraged, supported and inspired these volunteers with their example and service.
I'm amazed at the many people who gave sneakers to make a difference in the life of children in need in the Framingham Public Schools.

Yes, I am amazed by these volunteers. The world might harp on the bad, and the proud and the takers, but this past weekend I was privileged to see volunteers give sneakers, hear volunteers sing songs and experience volunteers filling the souls of those they served with joy, love and peace.

And isn't that what faith is really about? I think so.

I would like to invite you to experience this for yourself. Faith Community is where these volunteers serve and you can experience what I did every Sunday: 146 E Main Street in Hopkinton at 9am and 10:30am or 301 Brook Street in Framingham (Walsh Middle School) at 10am.

I look forward to seeing you!

No comments:

Post a Comment