Friday, March 6, 2020

Unfeeling...is that a word?

Photo by Callum Skelton on Unsplash

Well...is it? 

Or is it more a description of an overload of emotions that leave you feeling adrift and numb. 
That's how I'm feeling after this week of political turmoil. 

I voted early, four days before the primary in MA. 

Who knew that four days later it would erupt into craziness. 

Within 24 hours two candidates withdrew (knowingly mocking my vote, but not personally). 
Super Tuesday was all over the place with two candidates claiming victories, while the two remaining women running were succinctly ignored. 
Then another male candidate dropped out
Then another female.
Now there are three candidates: one woman and two men.

However, the media is calling it a two person race. 
Since that candidate only has 2 delegates, it really is between the front runners.

The speed at which these candidates dropped out and endorsed previous opponents, has left me with "unfeeling". 

I am disappointed, but I don't know with whom. I don't know if its with the candidates who dropped out or the voting population who seems to choose white males over non white male candidates. I don't even know if it's about gender and sexism. Like I said, I don't know quite what I'm feeling.

The following is not an endorsement or critique of the Democratic Party or democratic views.

The 2020 Democratic Candidate list was one of the most diverse candidate lists I have seen in many election cycles. There was a vast range of ethnicities, genders, orientations, views and political plans. I found it fascinating, interesting and worth exploring. I was hoping for someone different, with perhaps fresh insights and solutions to guide and grow our country. One by one, for various reasons they have all dropped out and we are left with two front runners that seem to be a bit of the same old political past we have endured for some time. 

And I don't know how I feel about that. Unfeeling is what I feel...numb, surprised and unsurprised, disappointed and non-plussed, confused and understanding, but mostly, just empty...wishing for a change that will catapult us into a new age of the American dream.

But for now, it becomes a search for what works with yet another choice between two white males in the democratic party and then another choice between probably two white males for the presidency.

To the women candidates: Senator Amy Klobuchar, Representative Tulsi Gabbard, and Senators Kirsten Gillibrand, Elizabeth Warren, and Kamala Harris. Thank you for courageously stepping out and attempting to once again break that glass ceiling in America. Tulsi Gabbard, you are still fighting and I remind myself, there are three candidates for the democratic party, not two...even if that third candidate is very far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment