Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Processing Your Lockdown: The Stages of Grief

Photo by Peter Forster on Unsplash

We are all grieving some sort of loss. 

From loss of freedom of movement for some, to loss of life for others.

And we are all going through stages of grief in some way.

For those who don't know them, the five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. They are not necessarily sequential, but most people experience all of them as they process grief.

Most felt denial in the last week: "this is crazy", "it's surreal", "I can't believe it" and a myriad other responses all show denial.

Last night, I think I moved into anger. I felt anger at our political leaders (on too many levels and for too many things). But the flashpoint for me was listening to a report on the second failed attempt in congress. 

Both sides of the aisle attempted to include their own programs (unrelated to the current crisis) in earmarks and appropriations. It made me angry, that in a time where people are scared, losing their jobs, getting sick, dying (and a prospect that it will only get worse), politics was alive and well.

It made me mad (along with a host of other things).

For me I process anger by sharing it with trusted friends and physical exercise.

My friends weren't available, the gym is closed...so out I went on a run, alone and not very far, but enough to bleed off my anger and find perspective.

Others deal with anger by journaling, sleeping, withdrawing, prayer, solitude and silence (those last two are a little tough if you are stuck in a house with lots of others.

How do you process anger during this crisis time?

No comments:

Post a Comment