Monday, February 23, 2015

The Name Above All

Praying the Jesus prayer as often as possible felt hard today. Perhaps it was the intensive meeting schedule, the ever present cold or the impending doom of the Polar Vortex cold of the next few days. It just did not flow.

However, praying to the Lord Jesus, regardless of how many times is always fruitful and a blessing. When I did pray the Jesus prayer, I reflected on the second word - Jesus.

His name is the name above all names, the name by which we are saved, the One who reveals God to us and the One who brings us to God.

His name means, "The Lord Saves", and in Hebrew is Joshua.  


His name is one of the most common names given to children in some cultures today as a sign of love and respect for who He is. Thousands of times a day people unwittingly shout out the very gospel of God - the Lord Saves, the Lord Saves. 

Knowing His name speaks to a fundamental truth about what Jesus came to do...provide a way to develop a deep and personal relationship with God. There is an intimacy implied in knowing his name. Jesus speaks about this intimacy in one of my favorite passages from the book of John, found in the Bible. It comes from John 15:13-17:
"13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other."
Yet, knowing His name, and having that intimacy with Him, must never become mundane. He is my friend, but my friendship must not lead to presumption. He is God, He is King! He deserves and has earned my respect, my adoration, my worship and my submission.  I am reminded of Dr. Lockridge's famous sermon (Seven Way King) and the many clips of a segment of that message. Jesus is my friend and He is my King. Do you know Him?

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment