Saturday, May 9, 2015

Jet Lag

I've been back from South Africa for a week now. I have a weird relationship with jet lag. I don't mind it, but don't love it either. South Africa is only 6-7 hours ahead of Eastern USA depending on daylight savings. On this return it means I am falling asleep at 8-9pm and waking up 4-5am.  That might sound like a regular nights sleep for an early bird, but I'm a late night owl.

The world is weird at 4am in the morning. The sounds are wrong and the light is wrong. I'm not sure I like it. However, it is quite nice to hit 8am and you're already ahead of your day and have everything working for you. The negative effect at night is having your wife laugh at you as you fall asleep on the couch, drooling and falling.

I prefer the late night owl - up till 2am, contemplating the universe, life and everything, waking up grumpy in the morning and having that first sip of delicious coffee. Yes, maybe that sounds weird to you early birders, but the late night owls are all hooting in agreement.

They say the early bird gets the worm.  I'm with Garfield on this one...some incentive!

I'll stick with coffee.  And I've discovered a new favorite this year - iced coffee! Enjoyed it last year, but loving it this year!

1 comment: