Saturday, October 3, 2015

Shards

I recently spoke at our Men's Prayer Breakfast talking about Paul's reference to his "thorn in the flesh" from 2 Corinthians 12. The word for thorn in the Greek is skolops. It can be translated in multiple ways. It can be a thorn, something small with an irritating prick in your skin, or it could be large, like a tent stake that drives a hole through your heart. It most literal translation is "what is pointed".

There is much debate over what Paul's thorn is, but I don't like the word thorn as used. I think I prefer the word shards. Shards carries a far better meaning to me, Shards is such an applicable word. Shards of glass...it captures images of brokenness and pain, of danger. Shards of rock, that poke and prod, leaving you uncomfortable at least. Shards of broken ceramic that clearly say the plate is beyond repair. Shards of metal that are cast off by the metal worker, but so dangerous if left unattended.

John MacArthur argues that Paul's thorn is a broken relationship in his ministry. He feels it is the best reason for Paul's pain and anguish in this chapter as he refer to the thorn as a messenger of Satan sent to torment him.

I think we can all relate to this pain. Broken relationships are by far the most severe form of pain I know. The break in the relationship can be of any reason: death of someone close, a parting of ways whether by choice or not, a betrayal, or something in-between. The writers used the word thorn to keep to the true sense of the word, but I prefer shards. A broken relationship leaves your heart, soul and even your body wracked with pain as if filled with shards.

Shards are broken pieces with sharp edges that slide into you and leave you filled with pain. They cannot be easily removed for to take them out means cutting you again. And when you get one, there are often plenty more. If the removal is done poorly a single shard can also break into more shards causing more pain. I think this is what broken relationships feel like to so many people - not a stake or thorn in your flesh. But shards in your flesh!

God's answer to Paul is that his grace is sufficient. What isn't answered is how you experience and receive that grace. It's different for each person.

For all those suffering from a broken relationship, I know your pain. I know your shards. My prayer for you and for me is that we would together find the grace of God that is sufficient for our healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment