Monday, July 5, 2010

The Panera Problem

I am sitting at Panera listening to the beautiful sounds of smooth jazz on Pandora, sipping coffee, slowly melting in the heat as I watch those around me...and reading from Ruth Haley Barton's book Strengthening the Soul of My Leadership.

A thought occurred to me as I watch plates and plates of food go past, portions so large that most people are taking home or throwing away the leftovers. I see large, stunning full color slides of Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad as well as Strawberry, Poppyseed and Chicken Salad. There is water on tap, coffee constantly percolating and all I can think of are those unfortunate human beings that do not have access to these things...the starving, thirsty, dying people in third world countries who are far from any food, let alone choice.

I fear that we all may be looking to a troubling conversation with God when He asks us what we did with our blessing of excess. I don't have a clear answer for myself...just troubled thoughts that this is not right. This world and its brokenness is so hard, so devastatingly unfair. Why, because I am born in the southern hemisphere, or born of another color than white is my life filled with hardship and despair. Not everyone, but clearly so large a majority that it makes it cultural for those races.

I simply call out to God and wonder why...even as I feel myself tempted to have a great salad despite not being hungry at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment